Stories of Chinese Cuisine - Enter the Lee Kum Kee Dumpling Folding Challenge
Stories of Chinese Cuisine
Enter the Lee Kum Kee Dumpling Folding Challenge
Believed to bring wealth and good fortune, the saying is that the more dumplings you eat at Chinese New Year, the more money you will have – all the more reason to get cooking and enter theLee Kum Kee Dumpling Folding Challenge! Read on for how to enter.
Making Chinese dumplings at home is super easy and a great activity to share with loved ones! All you need is some gow gee wrappers from the supermarket or Asian grocery stores, one of our two dumpling recipes (steamed or pan fried). You’ll also need some Panda Brand or any Lee Kum Kee Oyster Sauce and your camera to enter the competition!
HOW TO ENTER:
- Prepare Chinese dumplings- steamed or pan fried
- Take a photo with a Panda Brand or any Lee Kum Kee Oyster Sauce
- Post your photo on our LKK AU Facebook post and Like our Facebook page or tag #LKKdumplingchallenge on your Instagram posts
- Tell us in 50 words or less your favourite memory of eating dumplings
PRIZES TO WIN!
The most creative entry will win the prize of a Lee Kum Kee product hamper, a Breville Hot Wok & Steam Cooker and a bamboo steamer valued at $346.64.
The following two best valid entries will win the prize of a Lee Kum Kee product hamper to the value of $41.70.
Competition is open 31/12/2019 - 8/02/2020 to Australian residents. Please see T&C’s here for further info.
One of the best parts of making dumplings at home is experimenting with unique shapes! Some are simple, and some require nimble fingers, it’s all part of the fun. Here are a few shapes to get you started.
Triangle Shape (easiest)
Tortellini (Official’s Hat) Shape (also easy)
Pleated Shape (more challenging)
To watch how to fold these shapes, head on over to ourInstagramorFacebook pageswe have a few videos to help you out!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Flavour your mince!
- For a rich, umami flavour that tastes like they came from a Chinese restaurant, simply add 1 tablespoon of Panda Brand Oyster Sauce to 450g chicken or pork mince filling. You will taste the difference!
- Seal for success
- Have a small bowl of water handy to help ‘seal’ the dumpling wrappers, to prevent explosions during steaming of frying.
- Cook or store, swifty
- Once you’ve filled and folded your dumplings, either cook or freeze them soon after (within 30 minutes is ideal). The juices in the filling will start to absorb into the wrapper, risking breakages during cooking.
- Practice makes perfect!
- Whether you have beginners luck or the messiest of folding, rest assured your dumplings will still taste wonderful and your loved ones will have fun making & eating these.
- Start with the simple triangle fold, followed by the ‘tortellini’ fold, then work your way up to the pleated and circle pleated fold styles. By giving yourself time to understand the texture of the wrappers, you’ll progress to more advanced styles in no time!
- Dial up the flavour!
- For an incredible dipping sauce for your dumplings, mix 2 tbsp black vinegar, 1 tbsp Panda Brand Oyster Sauce, 1 tsp white sugar, 1 dash of Lee Kum Kee Sesame Oil and 1 tbsp water as your dipping sauce.
- Want a quick fix? Try them with the Lee Kum Kee Seasoned Soy Sauce for Dumpling, your dumplings will never like before!
OUR TRIED & TESTED RECIPES
Look no further for a recipe, we have two for you to try!
Gold Ingot Steamed Dumplings
Mushroom and Chive Potsticker Dumplings